Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mint Chocolate Brownies

I LOVE MINTY THINGS! I don't know what it is, but I love the taste of mint. Maybe it reminds me of growing up, maybe it's the freshness of the smell. Whatever the case may be, I love it. The problem is, I crave it at times, and I can only push off those cravings for so long before I need to make a tasty treat. Then I feel guilty having the treats around the house, so my neighbors get to enjoy some of them. Lucky for me I had a good excuse to give them to some neighbors after they had helped me out just a few days prior to making these!

I am all about shortcuts in baking. I love to make things homemade, but I have never had success making brownies from scratch. I don't know what it is, but my homemade brownies ALWAYS turn out SUPER DRY! Hence the need for brownie mixes, and the shortcut for this recipe!

This recipe does take a little time to come together, but it is SO DELICIOUS AND WORTH THE WAIT!

Mint Chocolate Brownies:
1-13x9 brownie mix, made according to package directions
MINT FROSTING:
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1-3 T. milk
1/2 tsp. mint extract
3-5 drops green food coloring
CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. butter
Make and bake the brownie mix, according to package directions. Allow to cool completely
Make the mint frosting by first creaming the butter and then add powdered sugar, slowly, to avoid getting covered in white. :) Add only enough milk to make a smooth consistency. Add mint extract and food coloring. Frosting will be thick. Spread over the brownie layer, and refrigerate to help set.
For the chocolate topping, melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 1-3 minutes, do not overheat the mixture! Stir well to combine. Pour over frosted brownies , covering the mint layer completely. Refrigerate again until the chocolate layer is set. Let brownies sit at room temperature for a few minutes before cutting and serving. Cut into squares and serve!


1 comment:

  1. Why didn't you bring any to our meeting?! They look yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete