Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Shoyu Chicken

Our family has become a big fan of the CROCKPOT! With three kiddos now, and schedules changing all the time, I still want to feed my family a healthy and nutritious meal each night. Thank goodness for being able to throw things together, and letting them cook slowly throughout the day!

The first time I made this for my family, I didn't quite know what to serve with it. Since then, and after I took this picture, we have discovered our favorite way to top it is with fruits and veggies. Don't be alarmed, when I say fruit, I mean pineapple chunks. :) Feel free to try this "Hawaiian Chicken". It really hits the spot, especially with some cooler temps coming our way.

Shoyu Chicken:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. water
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped finely
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 T. dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
2 lbs. chicken (thighs or breasts, or combo)
Whisk together all ingredients, except the chicken, in a bowl. Put the chicken in a crock pot, sprayed with cooking spray, to keep from sticking. Cover the chicken with the sauce mixture. Cover and let cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks, and then let it keep warm in the crockpot with all the cooking juices until ready to serve. Serve over cooked rice.
Toppings can include: fried chow mein noodles, celery, pineapple chunks, jalapeƱo, possibilities are endless. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment