Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Homemade Soft Pretzels


Let me first say how grateful I am for those that serve us and our country by fighting for our freedoms! 
I will NEVER forget where I was and what I was doing 12 years ago this morning and the feelings I felt as I watched the footage and the newscasts most of the day at school and then again when I got home. I am grateful for those who have and continue to sacrifice so much that we might live with the freedoms we enjoy each and every day!

Now let me say that I will be the first to admit how nervous I was the first time I made these pretzels, but honestly---they are fool-proof. These are SOOOOO easy. My daughter helps me at least 1-2 times a month make these because they have become our family's favorite treat! They really are easy enough to make for an after school snack, tailgate party, or just because.

These pretzels are delicious, so soft just like the pretzels you get at the mall or sporting events, but you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for them. This recipe makes 8 pretzels, just think of the savings alone if you are craving pretzels. Plus, clean up is a breeze because of the Ziploc bag you use to let the pretzels rise. Perfect!!

Soft Pretzels:
Dough:
2 ½ c. flour                2 ¼ tsp. Instant yeast       
½ tsp. Salt                1 c. warm water
1 tsp. Sugar
Topping:
½ c. warm water            coarse salt
2 T. baking soda            3 T. melted butter
In a mixing bowl, place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Mix to just combine. Add the water and mix well, adding more flour as needed, a bit at a time to form a soft, smooth dough that clears the sides and bottom of the bowl. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, until it is soft and smooth, not overly sticky. Lightly spray the inside of a gallon ziploc bag with cooking spray and place the dough inside the bag; close the bag, leaving room for the dough to expand, and let rest for 30 minutes or up to 60 minutes. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and divide it into 8 equal parts. Allow the pieces to rest, uncovered, for 5 minutes. While the dough is resting, combine the the ½ c. warm water and the baking soda, and place it in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Make sure the baking soda is thoroughly dissolved. Roll each piece of dough into a long thin rope, about 18 inches, and twist each rope into a pretzel shape. Dip each pretzel in the baking soda wash, and place them on the baking sheets. Sprinkle them lightly with coarse kosher salt. Allow them to rest, uncovered for 10 minutes. Bake the pretzels for 7-9 minutes or until they're golden brown. Bake one sheet at a time. Remove the pretzels from the oven and brush them thoroughly with the melted butter. Eat the pretzels warm, or reheat them in an oven or microwave. DELICIOUS!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment