Friday, May 17, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

WELCOME TO KRAFTY IN MY KITCHEN!! I am so looking forward to sharing my go-to recipes, new recipes, tidbits, tips, and some thoughts, with you and your family.

Let's face it, anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE to cook and bake. It's never just for myself, usually it is because of my two hungry children in the family room watching Baby Signing Time while I make dinner while my husband comes home from work. Sometimes for a neighbor who needs a little something to brighten their day, and other times, it really is just for fun.

I grew up in the kitchen with my Mom, Grandmas, and all sorts of family cooking together in the kitchen. We had some recipes memorized we made them so much. I can't say when I was young we experimented too much, but I don't remember any big family gatherings which did not involve A LOT of food. 

As a result, I now would prefer to cook at home most nights. This is not to say I don't LOVE to go out, not having to do the dishes and clean up is every mom's dream, but if I cook I know exactly what my family is eating. We have several things that are on our monthly menu, but we keep trying new recipes and experimenting in the kitchen. 

Today I have one of my family's favorite cookies from when we were growing up. My Grandma was an AMAZING cook. She had so many recipes, and never messed them up. Later I learned, you really have to TRY to mess up one of her recipes. I hope you and your family enjoy these as much as we did, and continue to today.

CHEWY OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES:
3/4 c. shortening
1 1/3 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
3/4 tsp.baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 c. oats, uncooked
1 c. raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together shortening and brown sugar in a mixer. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and eggs. Mix until the ingredients are incorporated and smooth. Stir in the oatmeal and raisins, until just combined. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray. Place teaspoonfuls of the batter about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes. **The cookies will not look completely baked, they will be a bit brown on the edges, but when you take them out of the oven they will continue to cook just a little on the cookie sheet. This is how you get the chewy oatmeal deliciousness you and your family will love. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies. Enjoy!