Wednesday, June 12, 2013

German-Style Potato Salad

You might be thinking, what in the world is German potato salad?!! In two words: NO MAYO!

My husband and I are very strange, neither of us like Mayo or Mustard. I know what you're thinking, who in the world doesn't like mayo and mustard? It's not that I don't cook with them, or occasionally eat them, it just would not be my first choice.

We went to a graduation party last week for my sweet cousin, and I was asked to bring potato salad. I don't even know HOW to hard-boil an egg, so needless to say I got to work searching for an easier potato salad, that would taste good, and PERHAPS not include mayo or mustard. FOUND IT, and it is yummy. Thanks to the allrecipes app, I found a potato salad I could enjoy, with a couple alterations!

First of all, who doesn't like potatoes, well maybe don't answer that question, my daughter WILL NOT eat potatoes unless they are in hash brown or French fry form, we're working on that. But who REALLY doesn't like bacon?

Keep your mind open with this recipe, it really is worth a try!

Authentic German Potato Salad:
3 c. potatoes, diced and peeled           
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/8 c. white vinegar
2 T. water
2 T. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Place the potatoes in a pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside to cool. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes. Crumble in half the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I need to try this, too. I'm loving your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie. It's definitely a different taste, but I enjoyed this recipe!

    ReplyDelete