Monday, June 3, 2013

Macaroni Grill Bread Copycat

I don't know about you, but I LOVE to go out to eat Italian food. The problem is it costs so much to go ANYWHERE for dinner anymore, that we have started trying to remember the best parts of certain restaurants and making those favorite dishes at home.

My, now, husband and my first date was to Macaroni Grill, so obviously it holds a special place in my heart. Little did I know that their bread would become one of my favorites. You might be thinking THERE IS NO WAY I CAN MAKE BREAD!! I am here to tell you that it is easier than you might think. I had NEVER made bread until the first time I made dinner for my hubby, just before we were engaged. Coincidence, maybe, but I digress. All you need to do, is follow the directions, even if you mess up a little, it usually turns out great! Plus, it's homemade bread, who doesn't enjoy that, even just for the smell?!

So here is one of my cherished secrets. I originally found it on the blog Mel's Kitchen Cafe but have now altered it just a bit, because I rarely have just Rosemary in my home. There is, however, always Italian Seasoning which I have now substituted into the recipe. I like it just as well, but just know the original recipe calls for rosemary rather than the Italian Seasoning.

Macaroni Grill Bread:

1 T. active dry yeast                                      1 ½ tsp. salt
1 T. sugar                                                     1 T. dried Italian seasoning
1 ½ c. warm water                                        2 T. butter, melted
2 3/4-4 c. flour                                             Kosher salt for sprinkling
In a large mixing bowl, or electric mixer, combine the yeast, sugar, and water. Let the mixture stand until foaming and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, salt and Italian seasoning. Mix. Continue adding flour gradually, until a soft dough is formed. Judge the dough based on texture and feel versus how much actual flour you've had to add based on the recipe. The dough should be slightly tacky to the touch but should hold its shape while still being soft and smooth. Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes, adding additional flour only if the dough is overly sticky and not clearing the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly-greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until doubled in size, 1-2 hours. Once doubled, gently deflate the dough and divide in half. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray. Shape the dough into two smooth, oval-shaped loaves and place them on the baking sheet, one on each half of the tray so they have room to rise and bake without touching. Use a brush to slather the melted butter over the top of the loaves. Continue brushing on the butter until it is gone, the loaves will be well-saturated. Cover the loaves again  and let rise for another hour. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly sprinkle kosher salt over the top of the loaves. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly-browned and baked through. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy either plain or with Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment